Badge Art Contest Deadline Extended!
The deadline for entries to the Naka-Kon 2018 Badge Art Contest has been extended to December 22. Once again, we are giving our fans, a chance to shine by featuring their artwork on our convention badges!
The theme this year is “Tomo’s Choice,” which is going to tie into the interactive storyline that plays out at the convention, starting with our manga prequel and running until Closing Ceremonies, with plenty of activities in between!
Tomo has awakened in a barely familiar city in a strange time...1985. The only person she knows acts as if he hasn't met her... Months pass; Inari and a new friend named Gen help her adapt and get her a job at the local arcade. Finally her friends from the future arrive from the past to take her back... or is it forward? Will she be able to give up her simple, happy life in the 80s? Or will she take the slow path in order to finish mastering her Phoenix powers. This is Tomo's Choice.
We ask that all submissions feature some interpretation of the theme. You are welcome to use your own interpretation of Tomo, Inari or other characters from past Naka-Kon manga.
See the samples of character art at the bottom of this page. You can also refer to the past Naka-Kon manga.
The contest will be blind-judged by a small committee of our staffers. That means our judges won’t know the artist’s identity to keep everything fair. The deadline for entries is December 15, 2017.
The winning artist will get credit on our website, on our social media, and in our program book, plus 1 of 2 possible prizes:
An artist table in the Exhibit Hall at Naka-Kon 2018, complete with one standard weekend badge (for your table assistant) and one VIP badge (for you). As a VIP, you’ll get
- A swag bag full of goodies
- A special lanyard and badge
- A VIP-exclusive T-shirt
- Line-jumping privileges for most events
- Access to the Kon Suite
- Free admission to one ticketed event of your choice (the Maid Café, Lolita Tea Party, a Sake Tasting, or the Charity Ball).
Find out more about our VIP badges and perks on the registration page.
- A $300 gift card. You can choose from 1 of 3 options: Michaels, Best Buy, or Amazon.
If you’ve already applied for an artist table (whether you were accepted or not), you are still eligible to enter the contest!
- The artwork must be your own original creation and not previously used for any commercial purpose. That includes selling prints of the art.
- Japanese-inspired art styles are highly encouraged, but as long as you embrace the theme of “Tomo’s Choice,” your entry is valid for consideration.
- Your entry must be appropriate for all ages.
- Your entry must not include any copyrighted characters, logos, sprites, or graphics.
- Your submission shouldn’t have any sort of signature, initials, or identifying mark on it when you submit. The winning artist will have the opportunity to add their signature, initials, or identifying mark to the art before we send it off for printing.
- All entries must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. CST on December 22, 2017.
- No current Naka-Kon staff members or immediate family members of Naka-Kon staffers are allowed to enter.
- Naka-Kon will use the winning submission for its 2018 badges. We won’t use your artwork in any other capacity without your express permission.
- Contest art entries must be kept confidential until the winner is announced publicly via Naka-Kon’s official channels. After the announcement, the winning entry must be kept confidential until March 9, 2018, to help us prevent counterfeiting. Public disclosure of any submitted artwork before the permitted time will be grounds for disqualification and forfeiture of prizes.
- Naka-Kon reserves the right to disqualify any entries that violate the stated rules or do not fit publication specifications.
- Naka-Kon also reserves the right to choose another piece of artwork for our 2018 badges if all the entries are unsuitable for publication. In this event, we will still name a contest winner and award prizes.
- While the purpose of this contest the selection of badge art for the main attendee badge design (the adult Weekend and single day badges), Naka-Kon also reserves the right to choose from among the entries to select a design for other convention badge designs. In this event, a “runner-up” award will be made the contributing artist.
The artwork should measure 3 inches wide by 4 inches tall with a 1/8-inch bleed (0.125 inch) on all sides (that means the final artwork will measure 3.25 inches by 4.25 inches).
Both digital and non-digital art are welcome. However, any non-digital creations must be scanned at a minimum 1200 dpi to ensure the image is sufficiently clear for our printer. For digital entries, the resolution must be a minimum 300 dpi.
Color format must be CMYK.
Acceptable file formats include .JPG or .TIFF.
How to Enter
All entries must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Badge Art Contest Submission.” You can also direct any questions about the contest to email@example.com.
Your submitted file should be named as follows: “2018 [your legal name].”
Please also include in your entry email:
1. Your name (and whatever pseudonym you use for your art, if applicable). Don’t worry, our judges won’t see any names during the judging process!
2. Whether you already have an artist table at Naka-Kon 2018.
You may e-mail attachments using Google Drive or via a file sharing service (such as Dropbox, Hightail, etc.). Please verify that your links work before submitting.
The judging committee will review entries, make a decision, and contact the winner via email no later than December 31, 2017. The winner must respond to that email no later than Jan. 2, 2018. Because of the confidentiality required, Naka-Kon will not award the gift card prize until after the March 9, 2018, deadline.
Below are art samples for your reference:
- Character reference: Tomo in the 1980s.
- Naka-Kon 2017 Badge Art
- Naka-Kon Child 2017 Badge Art