Projects at Various Locations around the Metro
United Way Day of Caring Kicks Off Sept. 15 at Urban Youth Academy
Naka-Kon is successful partly because of the community that surrounds us. While we celebrate Japan and all it has to offer, we do want to acknowledge the work that goes into making our local environment successful. In the coming years, Naka-Kon will be connecting our nakama with opportunities around the metro to get you more involved in your community.
Our first endeavor is the United Way's Day of Caring, which will be held on September 15. Agencies across the six counties of Greater Kansas City will be hosting service projects that support their mission or help behind the scenes. These projects need volunteers. Find a project nearby that interests you and use your talents to give back to the community. If you don't live in the metro, look into your local United Way or other agencies and see what help you can provide.
As 2018 marks the 100th anniversary of United Way, the day will begin with a birthday celebration at the Urban Youth Academy. Enjoy breakfast, guest speakers, pick up your Day of Caring t-shirts, and win prizes!If you have any questions, please contact Naka-Kon's Community Outreach Director, Megan, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are just a few of the many opportunities you'll have on September 15!
- Synergy Services - Create art packets, organize costumes.
- Samuel U Rodgers Health Center - Decorate and move historical displays for Golden Globe Gala fundraiser.
- KVC - Provide childcare for foster kids by doing activities, hanging out and having fun.
- Literacy KC - Event prep, crafting, cleaning and organizing with staff & students.
- Camp Encourage - Help prepare materials, shirts, etc for fall overnight camp for youth with autism spectrum disorder.
- Kansas City Hospice & Palliative Care - Cleaning, packet assembly and making crafts for patients.
- Truman Medical Center - Making & delivering floral arrangements for patients.
- United Inner City Services - Book & art supply drive.
- Harvesters - Sorting and repackaging donated food, several different projects.