If we don’t reach $100,000, does that mean Naka-Kon 2022 is canceled?
Absolutely not! We’re still on board and set for a stellar 2022 show. While we’ve got an attendee cap as well as some changes in programming, we’re still going to have a full schedule with a lot of your favorite Naka-Kon events such as the dance party, cosplay contest, charity ball, and ticketed events.
Then why do you need so much?
As we’ve shared on previous social media posts, Naka-Kon is a non-profit organization run by volunteers, and putting the convention together takes a lot of money. This is mostly covered by badge sales and exhibit hall space sales. All revenue goes back into the operation and production of the convention. The COVID-19 pandemic and untimely 2020 cancellation contributed a $200,000 loss in pre-convention operating capital. While we were able to recoup some of the loss through grants and Naka-Kon 2021 revenue, the $100,000 we are requesting is to help with costs for Naka-Kon 2022 and future years.
What is all of the money going toward specifically?
- 2022 post-convention bills
- 2023 and future operating costs including venue space, storage, insurance, legal consultation, etc.
- 2023 and future programming costs, which include security, guests, professional services, safety measures, guest services, attendee services, etc.
How can I help?
We know things look difficult, but we are taking one small step at a time to recover from our loss. We need as much support as possible to help the convention this year and future years. You can currently help by:
- Donating using our donation link (naka-kon.com/donate)
- Participating in the Amazon Smile Program (smile.amazon.com), and selecting Naka-Kon Japanese Cultural Education Association for your choice.
- Participating in fundraising events
- Purchasing badges for the 2022 convention (naka-kon.com/registration)
- Booking rooms at the Sheraton Hotel (naka-kon.com/hotels) for your stay during Naka-Kon
- Purchasing Naka-Kon merchandises (naka-kon.myshopify.com)
We will be facilitating a host of fundraising events before Kon, during Kon, and throughout the rest of the year, so please keep your eyes out on our social media channels and website for those opportunities.
Where can I see updates on the fundraising effort?
Please visit naka-kon.com/donate where we will periodically update our progress.