Show off your skills when you put your favorite video games and anime to the ultimate soundtrack! Let these two media combine into a beautiful AMV (anime music video) that can move audiences to laughter or tears…or maybe both! Whether it’s heartbreaking dramas or fierce action, wow us with your technical know-how and artistic talent.
Videos with content (language, violence, or sexuality) above a PG-13 rating must enter our 18+ contest.
Want to see what your fellow AMV fans have created? Don’t miss the AMV showings where we’ll screen the entries in both categories!
Contest registration can be found in Willow Room and will be open during the following hours:
Friday: 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m
- One AMV entry per contestant, per contest. (You may enter both the General and Mature contests.) If an entry is disqualified for any reason, you may enter an alternate AMV at the judges’ discretion. Entrants may also provide additional AMVs for filler screening, not to be entered into the contest, should they so desire.
- Videos must be created by the contestant. Any confirmed plagiarism may result in disqualification from this contest and all future Naka-kon contests.
- Entrants to the Mature AMV contest must be over 18 years of age.
- Videos may be no longer than 6 minutes. If your video has a valid reason for needing more time, please contact contests staff at the contest registration table.
- Videos must contain at least 75 percent non-repeating footage of Japanese origin.
- Videos may have creator identification at the beginning or end. Intros or ending credits may be no longer than 10 seconds in length.
- For the general contest, videos must be kept at a PG-13 rating by MPAA standards, for both music and clips. If you are unsure if your video meets this requirement, contact contest staff to arrange a preview. Videos disqualified from the general contest because of content will be moved to the mature contest.
- To preserve the integrity and quality of the AMV showings, judges reserve the right to not show a video for any reason they deem necessary, including quality or formatting.
- Entrants must be present at Naka-Kon to win. Contestants must check in at contest registration any time before 4 p.m. on Saturday.
- All clips used must be from sources the user has obtained legally. Any indication that the material was obtained from other sources will be grounds for disqualification and banning from both contests.
- Creators may use any codec or file format they deem appropriate or necessary, provided that it will run in Windows Media. If it will not play, the entry will be disqualified. Preferred format is .avi.
- Please make your video as high-resolution as possible with proper compression. It will be projected on a large screen at the convention. If it does not play in full-screen mode on your computer without looking grainy, it will certainly look poor on a projector. AMVs of low quality may be disqualified or not shown.
- Please use the highest-quality audio possible. If you hear static, slight pops, or hisses in the background when played through computer speakers or headphones, they will be very noticeable during the AMV showing when played on large speakers.
- Videos should be submitted as data-only files (such as .avi). Files burned to disc must not be in VCD or DVD format. Submissions received in an improper format will be disqualified. The preferred method of submission is transfer via USB drive.
- There will be NO electronic submissions. Bring your AMV to contest registration for submission.
- Contestants must be present at Naka-kon to enter.
- Entries will be accepted at the convention until 4 p.m. on Saturday.
- Judges may limit the number of entries if there are too many AMVs to review them all in time or show them at the presentation.
- Awards will be presented at the end of the general and mature AMV showings.